Sunday, March 1, 2009

Eating In Paris!

The first night we arrived in Paris we were starving!  I was on a trip with my family, during the summer a few years ago.  We had just come to Paris from Italy, where we had traveled for a few weeks.  Everyone in Italy had been fabulous about my allergies, so the first night in Paris was eye-opening!

We were staying at a nice hotel right on the Seine.  Down the street was a large area with restaurants.  We chose one and sat down to look at the menu.  The waiter came over.  I had my chef card in French out and ready.  The menu was in French and English, which was helpful because I had a better idea of what I was ordering.  Unfortunately, our waiter had quite the attitude!  I tried to order what I thought was a very simple chicken dish, then gave the waiter my card.  He shook his head, saying he could not help me, and that he didn't know what was in it.  I asked him if he could bring it to the chef, which he refused to do.  I then asked if I could just get some plain pasta, which still was apparently a big deal to him.  He wouldn't help me, so I wouldn't order from him!  The rest of my family had already ordered.  It was pretty late, so I didn't want to make them find another restaurant.  I sat patiently while they ate their dinner.  

After our first dining experience in France, I was not too excited for many more fabulous dining out fiascos!  We walked around after dinner, trying to find a store where I could find something to eat.  We came across a Ben & Jerry's!  Now, I will admit that I am often extremely disappointed at the noticeable presence of globalization in so many countries, BUT in this case I was not!  I know that ice cream should not be a replacement for a meal, but sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures.  They had pints of it with English ingredients, so I split a pint with my sister and called it my dinner!

The rest of our time in Paris was a mix of difficult eating experiences.  It was certainly not my most food-fulfilling week!  The only food I could eat at the patisserie was bread.  I watched as my mom would try delicate and delicious looking desserts.  It can be disappointing, but as long as I am keeping myself safe, and finding something to fill my stomach, I am okay!  

No comments:

Post a Comment