Monday, February 16, 2009

The International Job Fair

I have never been to a job fair like this before!  There are around 80 schools represented from many different countries, and around 500 candidates looking for positions.  Usually this ends up being plenty of schools for the number of recruiters, but this year, that is not the case.  The economy is affected world wide, and it is definitely showing here.  There are not very many elementary positions.  I was lucky to get three interviews.  One interview was with a school in Cairo, one was with a school in Italy, and one was with a school in Colombia. I had interest in other schools too, and left recruiters notes in a mailbox with my resume. The recruiters can then leave me a letter of interest and information about their schools in my mailbox.  The interviews went really well, and I was offered a job right away by two of the schools.  Now I have to make a decision...

*I just want to also add what I did for food this weekend.  I stayed with two of my friends at their apartments.  I packed a cooler with food in it, and planned my meals ahead of time.  I didn't want to stress my friends out unfairly, by feeling like they had to feed me.  I was also at the fair for the majority of the day, each of the three days.  I left the cooler in the car (it was freezing outside, so everything stayed cold).  When I had time, I could always run out to my car in the parking garage and grab whatever I wanted.  One of the afternoons, I had leftover beef stew.  I asked the restaurant at the hotel where the fair was, if they would heat it up for me. They were really nice about it, and put it in a bowl for me at one of the tables.  I really appreciated it!  This weekend just showed how important it is to plan food out ahead of time.  I had plenty of food and was never hungry, because I figured out a way to eat my own food, and not have to worry about finding food I wasn't allergic to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment